Lower Intestinal Bleeding Specialist in Santa Ana, CA
Bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract can be caused by a variety of different conditions. This symptom is considered to be quite serious and should be addressed immediately by a specialized physician such as Dr. Albert Chung if detected. Dr. Chung is a board-certified colorectal surgeon specially trained to diagnose and treat the source of lower intestinal bleeding. If you are experiencing symptoms of lower intestinal bleeding, contact our Santa Ana office by calling (714) 988-8690.
What Causes Lower Intestinal Bleeding?
Your gastroenterologist will require some additional testing or endoscopic procedures to obtain an official diagnosis of any internal bleeding that presents itself in a person’s stool. If this bleeding is in fact linked to the lower intestine, it will typically be caused by one of the following medical conditions:
- Colon polyps: These small tissue formations form within the lining of the colon and can cause bleeding if torn.
- Diverticulosis: Instead of protruding outward into the colon like a polyp, these are pouches that form within the lower digestive tract.
- Diverticulitis: When the pouches caused by diverticulosis become inflamed they are then categorized as a separate condition called diverticulitis.
- Hemorrhoids: Swollen veins located at the end of the rectum or on the anus.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): General inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract that can cause chronic widespread pain in addition to potential bleeding.
- Proctitis: This condition causes swelling within the lining of the rectum, which can often lead to lower intestinal bleeding.
- Tumors that may or may not be cancerous.
- Anal fissures: Tears in the lining of the anus.
How Does Dr. Chung Treat Lower Intestinal Bleeding?
In order to determine a proper course of treatment, Dr. Chung will first need to definitively diagnose the source to your lower intestinal bleeding.
It is always recommended for individuals to seek treatment if they begin to notice blood in their stool. Seeking emergent care is imperative if any of the following signs of shock are present:
- Sudden drop in blood pressure
- Feeling faint or even passing out
- A quickened pulse
Request a Lower Intestinal Bleeding Consultation with Dr. Chung!
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Albert Chung to further discuss the possible causes to your lower intestinal bleeding, please call (714) 988-8690 today!